Re: [alpine-devel] Porting Alpine scripts

From: Tuan M. Hoang <tmhoang_at_flatglobe.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 03:57:45 +0700

 ---- On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 02:53:18 +0700 Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> wrote ----

> Sounds like your aports is from edge, but you are running 3.3 or 3.2
> stable alpine. Then the gcc versions do not match, and you get this.

I am on v3.4 with gcc5.3-r0. Tried gcc5.3-r0 APKBUILD file but the same problem.

From what I understand your gcc-pass-2 and gcc-final are actually gcc-pass-1 and gcc-pass-2 in traditional way :
    1. build gcc-pass-1 and binutils using host (x86_64) 's gcc+libc targeting new target (x86).
    2. use that gcc-pass-1 to build new target's libc.
    3. build gcc-pass-2 using new libc
(please correct me if I am wrong)
So, after building gcc-pass-2 (step 1 above) in the script, we install it in the host system then use it to build musl targeting new target (step 2 above). But if you install gcc-pass-2 in the host system at /usr/, it will produce my conflicts problem. In the traditional way, we just pass something like CROSS_COMPILE=i486-linux-musl- when running musl's configure script. This is why I suggested install gcc-pass-2 into different prefix so it won't conflict with the host's gcc. Just wonder how did you do last time.

I did try to delete host's gcc to install only gcc-pass-2 but building musl requires build-base package and in turn requires host's gcc).

> It's probably ok for gcc/g++ part, but you are right, Ada might be
> problem for full bootstrap.
>
> As heads up: I'm currently looking at gcc 6.1; and also bootstrapping
> armv7. I have already some changes coming up for gcc/musl and some
> other packages for fixing bootstrapping. But seems there's been some
> bitrot since last bootstrap (for armhf some years ago) and the scripts
> need fixing.

I also suspect that Alpine has involved a lot since 2013 and your scripts might be outdated to current aports system. Would you mind sharing your current/working bootstrap on present aports system?

Thanks,
Tuan