Re: [alpine-devel] smdev

From: Cág <caoc_at_riseup.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 16:31:00 +0300

Shiz wrote:

> I frequently keep a fully static /dev on my servers, in which I don’t
> need
> a device manager at all. So yes, I’d like to remove it.

Okay, so in this case yes, it is better to be provided by a package
manager.

> I don’t think a distro with a package manager is right for you judging
> from
> this comment. Maybe something like BSD’s ports is more up your ally?

I had one particular problem with source-based distributions: crappy
software
I depend on. When software like Firefox, gcc, WebKit and LibreOffice
exist
we can't give up our binary-based package managers. That's why I think
that
they should be provided as binaries, while something small and useful
(just like suckless software) could be present in a source form, in my
opinion.
Now in Debian I like things like dpkg and debconf, but BSD is often
is on my another partition. And yeah, I wrote it previously, I love
pkgsrc.

Peace,
Cág