Re: [alpine-devel] Porting Alpine scripts

From: Tuan M. Hoang <tmhoang_at_flatglobe.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 01:11:08 +0700

 ---- On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 13:29:44 +0700 Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi> wrote ----

> Could you share what target triplet you are using? And what CARCH? I'll
> be happy to push these to abuild early, even if everything is not
> working.

Target triplet : s390x-alpine-linux-musl
CARCH : s390x (but for linux-headers, it is s390)

Fortunately, I have successfully run crossbuild-bootstrap targeting s390x, but I need to remove paxmark lines in gcc's APKBUILD as it returns an unknown error (creat-cross runs just fine). AFAIK, it is about security concerns, not system's functionality, so for now I guess it is okay. What do you think?

When I try either to (1) install newly cross-built packages into the sysroot-s390x-alpine-linux-musl/ in the build machine or (2) install Alpine in a chroot in the target device using packages from packages-s390x-alpine-linux-musl/main/s390x/ , they both generate following error: http://pastebin.com/WDJyCaxT. Any chance this thing comes from removing paxmark ? I try to pass --verbose to apk-build but cannot see any change. How did you manage to bootstrap on the real target device?

> I just pushed few commits to abuild, that set CBUILD by default
> properly. It also fixes dependency installation for host/target to not
> run scripts, that would become error later on the build process too.
>
> Please try latest abuild git version if it helps.

I am using it now.

> > > Though, we are currently looking into improving the build system a
> > > bit more to support cross-building better, including supporting it
> > > directly from abuild command line and building things
> > > automatically in chroot. This needs a bit of design, but is on the
> > > way.
> >
> > That's really good to know. I would like to help in that process, or
> > try it out and give feedback.
>
> I actually want first fix cross building to be supported properly. So
> just doing "CHOST=aarch64 abuild -r" would to cross-compile aarch64
> version of package on any build system.
>
> I have first patch ready for this that makes all the cross-compile
> script config entries built-in to abuild.
>
> The second patch is make abuild properly aware of subpkg's arch. This
> is tricky since when make cross toolchain we are generating packages
> for the host and the target. But I got this almost done.
>
> The above two will greatly simplify the bootstrap scripts, which I'll
> probably dump to aports along with instructions. We've been getting lot
> of questions for bootstrapping recently...

Hum.. That looks quite complicated. Will definitely come back to this afterwards.