[alpine-devel] Cleanup of testing repository

From: Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 12:47:43 +0200

Hi,

I have been rebuilding world for our new aarch64 architecture. While main
and community repositories are in good shape, testing really is not.
We currently have 1832 aports in testing of which 437 fail to build:
http://tpaste.us/GVV8

I would like to purge packages from testing that have not had any update
since x days, this will reduce the list of failed packages, and will make
it easier to get testing in building shape again.
As an example you can find a list of not updated packages since 1 jan 2016
here: http://tpaste.us/36aa

We should determine what the best possible TTL is for packages in testing.
It should be long enough so developers get a chance to get their packages
fixed upstream and short enough to prevent the mess we currently have.
My suggestion would be something between 6 and 12 months, but i'm open to
ideas. And please remember testing is not a copy of AUR, our developers
should no be responsible for other peoples mess in testing.

To keep testing healthy we can purge them every time we create a new
release branch, this is also a good time for developers to check testing
and get things moved to community if they want to keep it.

-carlo