Re: [alpine-devel] Cleanup of testing repository

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:02:14 -0700

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 12:47:43 +0200
Carlo Landmeter <clandmeter_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> We should determine what the best possible TTL is for packages in testing.
> It should be long enough so developers get a chance to get their packages
> fixed upstream and short enough to prevent the mess we currently have.
> My suggestion would be something between 6 and 12 months, but i'm open to
> ideas.

I wouldn't mind if try keep it short.

> And please remember testing is not a copy of AUR, our developers
> should no be responsible for other peoples mess in testing.

Yes. The idea with testing was originally to test that the package
built on the build server environment and not only on the developers'.
Also, sometimes we build packages that we don't use ourselves, so we
needed a way for the requester to test that the package actually works
before we moved it to the repository.

Unfortunately we often never get any feedback on the packages requested
so we don't know if it actually works or not, and the packaged ends up
in testing forever.

> To keep testing healthy we can purge them every time we create a new
> release branch, this is also a good time for developers to check testing
> and get things moved to community if they want to keep it.

Agree. I think we also did a cleanup when we branched 3.4-stable. We
might need to start cleaning it more often.