[alpine-devel] Using df with OverlayFS

From: Christian Kniep <ckniep_at_gaikai.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 01:25:05 -0700

Hey there,

I am running an alpine container on a Linux system that uses overlay as
docker storage backend.

My suspicion would be, that the df command does not no how to deal with
overlay as a filesystem and therefore is shy providing output… :)

gentoo1 ~ # docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
Storage Driver: overlay
gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged alpine df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
gentoo1 ~ # docker run -ti --privileged ubuntu df -h
overlay 1.4T 3.6G 1.4T 1% /

If I run df on my Ubuntu16 reference box - using AUFS as a storage backend,
I get an output.

root_at_swarm0:~# docker info |grep 'Storage Driver'
WARNING: No swap limit support
Storage Driver: aufs
root_at_swarm0:~# docker run -ti alpine df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
none 77.2G 26.3G 47.0G 36% /

How do I get overlay into this little df command of mine? I guess somehow
fiddle around with the APKBUILD file of coreutils
<http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/coreutils/APKBUILD>…

Cheers
Christian