Re: [alpine-devel] libnss-winbind ABI disagrees with glibc ABI for NSS modules

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:26:29 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 22:25:39 +0000
Josiah Worcester <josiahw_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been working on writing an nscd for musl systems (
> https://github.com/pikhq/musl-nscd ).

Cool!

> This nscd assumes the glibc ABI for NSS modules is in place. Unfortunately, if nss.h is not present
> at compile time for Samba, then it uses its own version of the NSS
> ABI (in
> https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=nsswitch/winbind_nss.h;h=05e07ad5d3137ffaecec9656298222a81451ce59;hb=HEAD
> ), which does not quite match.

What does not match? The sole enum there? Is something else needed?

> I'd like to continue supporting the glibc ABI for NSS modules, to
> potentially let proprietary NSS modules continue to function. To do
> this, Samba will need to have an appropriate nss.h around.
>
> I suppose if musl-nscd were in alpine upstream, then just depending
> on a dev package would be appropriate. For now, I feel like the
> appropriate thing would be to copy nss.h into the apkbuild (e.g. from
> https://github.com/pikhq/musl-nscd/blob/master/include/nss.h ), and
> make sure Samba uses it. Think this could get done?

Could we just patch the samba nss.h until musl-nscd-dev becomes
available? Or does it trigger additional functionality to be built if
nss.h exists?

What modules of samba use this file? Is it just some nss plugin which
has been unused so far? If yes, I'm happy to just apply a patch. But if
it affects some other potentially in-use things, we need to consider if
it breaks things.

Thanks,
Timo