Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] Aarch64 bootloader

From: Timo Teras <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 16:51:05 +0200

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 12:35:04 -0200
Alba Pompeo <> wrote:

> Better formatting.
> I think (E)LILO and GUMMIBOOT should be used where possible.

Gummiboot [1] and ELILO [2] are abandoned and should not be used.

> Platforms that don't support it could use SYSLINUX.
> For platforms that don't support any of those, GRUB2.
> And U-BOOT just as last resort.
> I always heard GRUB2 was an abomination and superhuge, but it's "just"
> 150% the size of SYSLINUX.
> People could say that because they looked at the source code and it's
> really bad?
> I'm just doing some counting......

Comparing just lines of code is not accurate. For example in case of
u-boot it contains hardware level support for gazillion of CPUs and
peripherals. Only fraction of that is compiled based on the

I do not have strong opinion on GRUB2/SYSLINUX. I should probably look
at the code form one... :)