[alpine-devel] Proposal: testsuite support in APKBUILDs

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 21:38:00 -0600

Hello,

A concern I hear occasionally from people when discussing Alpine as a
distribution they could use for their projects is that Alpine does not
typically run testsuites in APKBUILDs. This is largely because abuild
does not have awareness of testsuites.

As such, I propose we add a testsuite() phase to the build process,
that runs after build(), but prior to package(). APKBUILDs should
override the testsuite phase, but the default_testsuite() function
will be a noop for the Alpine 3.6 release cycle that raises a warning
that the APKBUILD does not define any mechanism for running a
testsuite. If "!testsuite" is defined in $features, the warning is
ignored.

For cross-builds, the testsuite would be skipped unless the package is noarch.

After Alpine 3.6 (or maybe 3.7), we change the warning to a fatal
error, requiring APKBUILDs to explicitly opt out of running a
testsuite through $features.

Thoughts?