Re: [alpine-devel] Non-standard C library

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 13:25:28 -0600

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Harald Arnesen <harald_at_skogtun.org> wrote:
> musl defines "IPPORT_RESERVED" in "netdb.h", while both GNU libc and BSD
> libc define it in "netinet/in.h". And I can't find an e-mail address for
> a musl developer without subscribing to their mailing list.
>

> This is from a conversation with Snobol maintainer Phil Budne:
>
>> > This one is from an old Asus EeePC 900, running AlpineLinux, which uses
>> > the musl libc instead of glibc. A compile error ('IPPORT_RESERVED'
>> > undeclared) in 'lib/auxil/bindresvport.c' was fixed by
>> > '#include <netdb.h>'
>
> Thanks!
>
> I'd report it as a bug in libc.... IPPORT_RESERVED is a property of
> on the wire protocol (or at least the local TCP stack), while
> <netdb.h> is the interface for hostname lookups.

I asked about it on the musl list for you. They rejected the change
request, citing POSIX:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/netdb.h.html

which explicitly says:

"The <netdb.h> header shall define the IPPORT_RESERVED symbolic
constant with the value of the highest reserved Internet port number."

Including both <netinet/in.h> and <netdb.h> is likely more portable
than the Snobol maintainer's current approach, as well.

William