[alpine-devel] Calling build() check() package() might be a bad order

From: Jean-Louis Fuchs <ganwell_at_fangorn.ch>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 16:34:49 +0100

Hi

I wanted to point out that there might be a problem with the order in
which abuild calls build(), check() and package().

My project has to be built different for testing and releasing. Since
abuild will call build() first, then check() and then package(), it is
built the wrong way either in check() or in package(). I am in the
fortunate position that my project can do out-of-source builds, but if
it couldn't I would have to do the following:

build()
    Build for release

check()
    Clean, build for test, test, clean and build for release

package()
    Package

I know that any project that does coverage has to be rebuilt for
testing, so my project shouldn't be the only case. Also tests often
only work if assert is active, which it isn't in release mode.

Here is the out-of-source version of the package of my project:
https://github.com/ganwell/chirp/blob/build_cleanup/dist/alpine/chirp/APKBUILD

If check() would run at the end:

build()
    Build for release

package()
    Package

check()
    Clean, build for test and test

May be there is a much better way that I am not aware of, in that case
we should document this in the wiki.

Best,
    Jean-Louis