Re: [alpine-devel] grsec go or no-go call for 3.6

From: V.Krishn <vkrishn4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 15:32:48 +0530

> Not viable as machine count is part of the subscription count, which we
> can’t predict. We also can’t redistribute the patch or the subscription
> will be terminated.
>
> Personally I vote for maintaining grsec for 3.6 and renaming it.
> For the 3.6 releases cycle, we should be reasonably able to maintain the
> patch against 4.9 LTS. We have to revisit this for 3.7+, preferably soon
> after as 3.6 is released, though.

If dormant project like this can raise such a sum, I am sure a security
project (close to kernel) can even larger.
eg. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RoundCube-Next-
Silent-2017

Not sure what game is at play, but after small overview of other LSM/Non-LSM
stackable/non-stackable projects, I think grsec should be kept alive atleast
for 3 yrs or so (irrespective of alpinelinux uses it)
If original author does not like the idea of such crowdfunding, maybe it
should be given a try by community/devs that forks it.

--
Regards.
V.Krishn