Re: [alpine-devel] checkdepends and bootstrapping new releases

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 18:48:32 -0500

Hello,

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 16:51:52 -0500
> William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I think we have an issue with checkdepends in APKBUILDs. The problem is
>> > that lua-aports does not pull in the the checkdepends as build time
>> > dependency while calculating the build order.
>> >
>> > We have 2 alternatives:
>> >
>> > - always pull in the checkdepends.
>> >
>> > This will make sure that the checkdepends are always built before the
>> > package needing it. But this also means that we need to make sure
>> > that we don't introduce any circular dependencies via checkdepends.
>> >
>> > - bootstrap new releases without running tests. By building the repo
>> > without any tests on the first run will allow us to have circular
>> > dependencies, but then we will not run any tests for our stable
>> > release (only updates will get the testing), or do we want rebuild all
>> > the package which checkdepends?
>> >
>> > Opinions?
>>
>> I think we should prefer bootstrapping without tests.
>> The reason why is that the tests may fail *anyway* under bootstrapping
>> conditions (due to cross compiling, etc).
>> So tests should probably just be run when we're not bootstrapping.
>
> I'm not talking about the initial boostrap of toolchain and abuild. I
> am talking about the next step, when we have a working abuild and
> aports-build and will build the rest of the repositories. If we disable
> checks, it means that the releases are built without checks.
>
> This is actually not only affect when we build new releases from
> scratch, but also affects edge.
>
> What happens if you push 2 commits, one with new aport for a new
> language (lets call it newlang). The checkdepends needs a new library
> implemented in newlang. The second commit has this library (lets callit
> newlib).
>
> ---
> pkgname=newlang
> checkdepends=newlib
> ---
> pkgname=newlib
> depends=newlang
>
> Now the question is, how should the build resolver handle this?
>
> The correct thing to do would be to build a temporary newlang with
> tests disabled, use this to build newlib and finally re-build newlang
> with tests enabled. But this is not implemented on lua-aports and is
> sort of complicated since it needs to be auto detected.
>
> In other words, its the classic bootstrap problem. Same as we had when
> pkg-config who depended on glib and glib depended on pkg-config.
>
> Also, what if an upgrade needs a newer version of the checkdepends?
> then we need to build the checkdepends before the package needing it,
> which means that we need to pull in the checkdepends in the dependency
> tree to figure out the build order. This means that the build-order
> [...]

I think we make aports rebuild scripts calculate checkdepends as part
of the dependency, unless it is doing an initial build of the
distribution.
If it is an initial build, then we do not run check like I said before.
What may be interesting is to build the distribution and then use that
distribution to rebuild itself with checks enabled.

In short, it should be a policy option instead of opportunistic.

William