Re: [alpine-devel] Code of Conduct

From: 7heo <7heo_at_mail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 03:20:38 +0200

Thank you Shiz for taking the time to review and comment on my proposal.

Since you started with clause 3, I will step right in, and say: from the
feedback I got, it is utterly clear that it completely misses the point.
So I will entirely rephrase it (not using any of the suggestions because
they are more a confirmation of step 2 - do not offend others - than
what was actually meant by - do not get offended).

About step 4, you are right that it is important to explicitly state
that actions will be taken "with a response appropriately proportional
to the fault."; but examples are out-of-scope: they call for more
exhaustive specifications in the CoC, while this is what we want to
avoid (it will take more time and we, AFAICT, prefer to trust the
developers as a whole than to write a canonical document that will be
interpreted according to who shouts louder).

For point two, exactly for the same reason as for point four, we do not
want explicit listings (and let's not give potential ill-intended people
a complete todo list), but I will add 'doxing' as it apparently makes
consensus.

The 'and' in point 6 is very much intentional. It means that we will
only care about stuff happening outside of the community if it is technical.

Finally, point 5 does not define alpine moderators, because we have no
other definition for it than the developers. So I guess that will have
to be an amendment for later on.

----
So here is the new version:
Alpine (AKA Alpine-Linux and Alpine-OS) Code of Conduct (CoC)
1. This CoC is to provide community guidelines for creating and
enforcing a safe, respectful, productive, and collaborative place for
any person who is willing to contribute in a safe, respectful,
productive and collaborative way. It is especially not meant as an
exhaustive law, to automate moderation, or to prevent thinking.
2. A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
of personal attacks, doxing, and disparaging remarks of any kind,
including, but not limited to, racial, ethnic, gender-related,
religious, political, sexual-orientation related slur.
3. This document is not about censorship or exclusion. Censorship is an
extreme measure, and shall only happen as a consequence of applicable
state law. Exclusion should be decided unanimously by the developers (or
in case of exclusion of a developer, by the developers who are in the
project for longer than the person to be excluded).
4. Any sustained disruption of the collaborative space (mailing lists,
IRC etc.) or other Alpine events shall be construed as a violation of
this CoC and appropriate action will be taken by the Alpine community
moderators.
5. Any amendment made to this CoC should be approved unanimously by all
Alpine developers (i.e. all people who have commit rights on the
repositories).
6. The CoC is only about interaction with the Alpine community. Your
private and public lives outside of the Alpine community are your own.
Any issue arising outside of the Alpine community and not directly
technically related with the Alpine maintained software shall neither be
discussed nor arbitrated within the community.