Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] uuns: Unprivileged user namespaces on hardened kernel

From: Steven McDonald <>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 04:32:55 +0200

On Mon, 22 May 2017 13:19:59 +0000
7heo <> wrote:

> I like its simplicity and default behavior to start a shell.
> I am not very familiar with namespaces myself, but this looks like a
> good idea.
> I'll try it when I have time.

Thanks for the feedback.

After some more experimentation, I think this is actually not very
useful. The same thing can be accomplished by simply creating the
namespace as root and then mapping a different user to root inside the
namespace. The documentation had initially lead me to believe otherwise.

I'll leave this up on GitHub in case somebody else has a use for it, but
I probably won't be doing anything else with it myself.