aports workflow

From: Fabian Affolter <fabian_at_affolter-engineering.ch>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 08:15:59 +0200

Hi all,

A while ago I brought this topic up on IRC but I go pretty much ignored.
Well, my frustration raised again to a certain level ;-)

It's about the aports and the workflow for people with no write access.

I like Github's PR approach and to have some kind of QA with Travis.
Especially if your not always on top of what's changed in AL, switching
between distributions and their packaging mechanisms, and your build env
is not always as clean as it should be.

There are over 200 open PRs (sure, some are no obsolete in the meantime
as they are open for over 6 months). I don't how it looks like on the
alpine-aports mailing list.

My problem with the current approach is that I do the work, then nothing
happens, and at the end it must be discarded because somebody with write
access commited his/her work directly.

Sure, one could say that you should keep your hands of packages which
don't contain your name as maintainer. If that thought crossed your mind
then...let me stop here before I say something I will regret later about
community, open source, common goal, etc.

A fact is that the current state is massively devaluing the work of the
community and pushing the two class society (write access/no write
access) further.

Just to be clear this is not a one-time thing and I doubt that I'm the
only one that's affected. Think about how you would feel when we would
switch places and the only response you will get is "was already done"
or something similar to that while the time line shows that you did the
work first.

Complaining is easy but without complaining there is no progress. As a
person with write access you may see the whole thing differently but
change your perspective for a minute and think about how the impact on
the future of Al could be.

Kind regards,

Fabian