Re: [alpine-devel] A few questions about Alpine

From: Breno Leitao <brenohl_at_br.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 09:17:37 -0300

On 06/12/2017 07:47 AM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 05:27:38 -0500
> "A. Wilcox" <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> 4. Is Alpine interested in ports to other architectures supported by
>> musl including PPC32 and MIPS?
>
> Yes, as long someone steps up and help us do the work, provide the
> needed hardware and help maintain the port.

The current ppc64le machine can run ppc32 virtual machines, and that is how
we do with Debian. The Debian build machines are VMs on top of a ppc64le big box.

Unfortunately we cannot use containers since the kernel use different ABIs
with different byte endianess, that is why we need VMs, with different kernel.