Re: [alpine-devel] [abuild RFC] abuild: add config option to globally enable dbg

From: Seamus Caveney <scv_at_brinstar.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 02:20:59 -0700

On 2017-06-18 00:00, Timo Teras wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 16:09:26 +0200
> Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:24:10 -0300
>> Alba Pompeo <albapompeo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why not create a dbgs metapackage like the docs metapackage?
>>> https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/abuild/tree/abuild.in#n1476
>>> https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/docs/APKBUILD
>>
>> Why would someome want install all the -dbg packages?
>
> I would. When trying to analyze core dump. Global meta package would be
> nicer than trying to hunt individually the -dbg packagaes needed.
> Though, we might hold that for the big projects. Getting firefox,
> libreoffice etc. -dbg might be just too much.
>
> /Timo

Better to opt for wildcards for install. More useful than adding a dbg
meta package and replaces the current solution for docs metapkg, which
is brittle imo, where is it documented that you must have the installif
entry in a custom doc function in an APKBUILD?

apk add *-dbg
apk add *-doc

Or say install many subpackages:

apk add qemu-system-*

The function already exists for search, why not for add as well?