Re: [alpine-devel] Suggestion to accept only whitelisted archs on APKBUILD arch= field

From: Timo Teras <timo.teras_at_iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 09:35:17 +0300

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 20:30:01 -0500
William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Tmp File <tmpfile_at_mail.com> wrote:
> > Alpiners,
> >
> > I suggest abuild stops to accept anything as an architecture.
> > Instead it should only accept a few whitelisted strings (x86 x86_64
> > armhf aarch64 ppc64le s390x noarch).
>
> NAK. We want to allow third parties to use abuild for architectures
> we may not necessarily support upstream.
>
> > This will prevent errors like setting unsupported archs.
> > https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/blob/master/main/yaboot/APKBUILD#L8
>
> powerpc arch is supported by abuild, we are just not presently
> building it, as the hardware I had for it failed.
> Although we may use ppc32 instead to be more in line with the ppc64le
> nomenclature.
>
> > And also help with typos.
> > https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/commit/58a2da0b213c969c00c1014552992c415f7a6610

I think abuild should complain with warning about architectures that it
does not know about to catch these typoes. But it should not be hard
failure. Some of those are intentional :)

Feel free to send abuild patch that makes it a warning. But make sure
it's not custom whitelist, it should instead be using
arch_to_hostspec() from functions.sh. And additionally whitelist
noarch and all.

Thanks,
Timo