Re: [alpine-devel] RFC: Distribution variables for abuild

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 14:30:47 -0500

On 30/06/17 00:52, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 01:36:37 -0500 "A. Wilcox"
> <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org> wrote:
>> Roadmap
>>
> How much code is needed in abuild? I think we could start with the
> APKBUILDs:
>
> ${DISTRO_URL:-https://alpinelinux.org}
>
> That way you can override the default and we are still backwards
> compatible. No code changes in abuild required to get started.
>
> This makes it also possible backport security and bug fixes to
> stable branches if needed.

That is a good thought, it is fine I think. It does erase one good
feature in that if bug URL changes, all the APKBUILDs still have to be
updated. But probably would be doable with a single `sed` command, so
that should still be okay.

>> If there is interest, I would be happy to work on the abuild code
>> and adding the variables in relevant APKBUILDs. There are a few
>> packages that don't specify bug report URLs where they could; I
>> could additionally add support there, if desired.
>
> Yes. This would be great!

Great, I will start work on this.

>> Thank you for your time in reviewing this proposal. If you have
>> any questions or concerns or changes, I would love to discuss
>> them. I'm open to any comments the community has.
>
> Are you ok with using the style ${DISTRO_NAME:-Alpine Linux} in
> the APKBUILDs?

Yes, this is fine.

> Something like: [diff showing good implementation of proposal]
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> -nc

Always glad to contribute to a worthy cause :)

Best,
- --arw

- --
A. Wilcox (awilfox)