Re: [alpine-devel] [Proposal] Remove "# Contributors:" from APKBUILDs

From: V.Krishn <vkrishn4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 05:01:12 +0530

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 01:59:49 -0500
>
> William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Tmp File <tmpfile_at_mail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello Alpinists.
> > >
> > > I think the contributors on an APKBUILD doesn't give much useful
> > > information and only makes the APKBUILDs longer. In the off chance you
> > > want to see who contributed in the past to a package, you can use git
> > > log. Most times only the maintainer is useful.
> > > If he doesn't answer, you can look at whoever else contributed to the
> > > package with git log. It'll be much more detailed and give a better
> > > idea.
> > > As a good side-effect this would also make the maintainer of a package
> > > easier to parse.
> >
> > I agree, however I also think allowing multiple Maintainer lines is
> > important.
>
> The idea with having a single maintainer is that one single person has
> the responsability for the package. This is to avoid situation where
> all the maintainers expect the other maintainers to act.
>
> When you are alone maintainer there is no doubt who should follow up
> and make sure things gets fixed.
>
> I am open to add a field for multiple comaintainers though.

This is were adding auto-flagging in https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/flagged
interface could be a help.
The scripts checks the ordered (occurrence) of maintainers in apkbuild file.

Moment a new version of pkg is auto flagged, it emails to first maintainer.
(or the next depending on stats)

Once maintainer acts upon the email he/she can send back mqtt msg with some
pre-defined msg (the mqtt pub format can be normalized).

The msg triggers a increment count for that maintainer for WIP or pkgs.
The number of pkgs a maintainer can tag as WIP can be set as quota,
or there can be round-robin on multi-maintainer'ed pkgs.

Interface https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/flagged can be enhanced,
1. Message columns would show the current state
2. Have a Msg history link
3. Stats page for maintainers showing work in hand

Having he whole cli based with web-based gui wrapper may be more desirable.

> We should probably also change it from being a comment in apkbuild to a
> shell variable.

May not be needed.

> eg:
>
> maintainer="...."
>
> > We may also want to keep Contributor lines for restricted packages
> > where only some people are allowed to touch them, but right now our
> > commit scripts don't do that specific kind of processing.
> >
> > William
> >

> > ---
> > Unsubscribe: alpine-devel+unsubscribe_at_lists.alpinelinux.org
> > Help: alpine-devel+help_at_lists.alpinelinux.org
> > ---

Regards.
V.Krishn