Re: [alpine-devel] Adélie on Alpine, two months later

From: Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 00:31:11 +0200

Hi Jean,

> I just wanted to say that a minimalistic approach (meaning simple tools like git send-email + a mailinglist)…

git send-email is indeed minimalistic, but mailing-list is really not.

Actually you’re not, many Alpinists prefer TUIs to GUIs, including myself. What I wanted to say is that pull requests workflow is even more suitable for TUIs than ML. You can use tools like https://hub.github.com/ + plain git or build your own tools suitable for your workflow, without need to deal with bunch of unstructured information in emails.

> …is liked by a non-commiter like meand I know commiters in other projects who like it too. …the process has to be optimized for the active commiters…

Well, we need to optimize the process for maintainers, active contributors and even less active / new contributors like you. That’s one of the reasons why we still support both GitHub and Patchwork.

I admit that I’d personally love to get rid of Patchwork, but 1st others don’t allow me to do that, 2st no one, including myself, wants to depend on third-party service as the only option. Currently we don’t have any sane alternative (simple, lightweight yet powerful). We know that the current process is not ideal, but there are too many issues and too little time…

About GitLab, I know it very well and it makes me very sad what insane bloatware it became after years. Complex beasts rules the world, not many people value simplicity.

Best regards,
Jakub