Re: [alpine-devel] Adélie on Alpine, two months later

From: Breno Leitao <brenohl_at_br.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:10:34 -0300

Hello,

On 07/25/2017 09:30 AM, A. Wilcox wrote:
> How does one bootstrap a new distro? Especially one with a slightly
> different triplet (i486-*, powerpc64-*, etc) than Alpine's, not to
> mention different configuration options? Should I just build a new
> GCC and install it over the current one?
>
> I figured running bootstrap.sh would be the quickest / easiest way to
> do that. But maybe I was wrong.

That is what I found during the ppc64le bootstrap.

During the ppc64le bootstrap time, I tried two different strategies:

1) Cross-distro compile Alpine packages from Debian/ppc64le. This strategy
seemed better at that time, because I could have delayed or even avoid GCC
bootstrap. I.e, I was using Debian's GCC to compile Alpine's package, and I
would like to have compiled GCC from the inside an already created Alpine
rootfs, without doing the GCC bootstrap process.

Since Debian had Musl, it would not be a problem, I thought.

2) Use the bootstrap script and start on Alpine/x86 and starting build from
the begining, i.e, doing GCC bootstrap and moving up.

What I found later is that it was quite hard to avoid GLIBC contamination
during the cross-distro compilation process. I was never able to get rid of
the GLIBC symbols using the first strategy.

When I switched to the second strategy, it was much easier to find the
problem and solve them, seeing progress at every new bug.

Anyway, this was my personal experience, and, as you should expect, your
mileage may vary.