Re: [alpine-devel] Adélie on Alpine, two months later

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:31:59 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 22:46:44 +0200
Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz> wrote:

> There*s no clear relation between related patches, *cause it*s just
> nearly impossible to reconstruct such information from separated
> patches in mail.

That depends on how you send them. Use --in-reply-to=<message-id> to
send the patch to a previous email thread.

> Patchwork is based on ancient workflow from CVS era.

No. It's based on the linux kernel development workflow, the people who
invented git in the first place.

> Maintainer can work with it directly via git (see
> https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247), without leaving
> terminal. When the contributor push new changes to the pull request,
> maintainer can simply pull them via git and view in context, it*s
> just a branch.

This was great news for me. I have looked for something like that,
without installing hub to provide github specific functionality to the
cli.

> It*s really horrible for reviews.

Then you are using it wrong. Patchwork is not designed to make reviews.
It is designed to help maintainer to keep track of the state of the
patch, and to make sure that patches are not forgotten.

You do the review, commenting and interaction via email, using your
favorite email client.

Using emails has some benefits. For example, you can read and write
reviews while you are offline (on an airplane for example). You don't
need sign up to any service. (github has critical mass now days so you
cannot really be involved in open source without having github account
anyway - I'm not convinced that is a good thing)

> I understand why some ppl don*t like GitHub (it*s third-party
> commercial service after all)

Yes. I don't want be locked in to a service provider. I don't want make
it a requirement that you sell your soul to github (or facebook or
twitter or whatever) to be able to contribute to alpine.

I also find the github web interface sluggish at times. Some pages can
take various seconds to load. And if content or directory is to bit it
will simply not show anything at all.

The major problem with supporting both github and email submissions is
that different people may send same patch. It is inconvenient for users
that they need to check patchwork before making a github PR and it is
inconventient that you need to search github PRs before you `git
send-email`. I suppose that is the price we pay.

I cannot claim that I love patchwork, but I want make it possible for
people to `git send-email` patches.

-nc

PS. interestingly patchwork itself is hosted on github.