Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine ports layout

From: Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 22:07:07 +0200

> How about splitting ports into categories, so gcc would be lang/gcc, vim would be editors/vim and firefox would be www/firefox?

1. This is orthogonal to main vs. community, i.e. it has totally different meaning.
2. I know this layout very well from Gentoo. It looked like a good thing at the beginning, but eventually I found out that it’s really not. There’s no clear (unambiguous) exclusive relation between packages and limited set of categories, it’s very common that one package may fit into multiple categories or none.

Jakub