Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine ports layout

From: Shiz <hi_at_shiz.me>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 15:44:35 +0000

> On 2 Sep 2017, at 13:09, Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz> wrote:
>
> On 1. Sep 2017, at 22:27, Cág <ca6c_at_bitmessage.ch> wrote:
>
>>> Does OpenSSH belong in security/, net/, admin/, or something else?
>>
>> security. net/ is for dhcpcd/openvpn/vnc kind of stuff. admin/ doesn't
>> even exist in Net/OpenBSDs.
>
> Why? This is just arbitrary decision, it’s not obvious nor intuitive. On Gentoo, I usually remember package name, but not the category, so I must always look in what damn category the package is located.

I’d like to add to this that I think security is possibly the worst category
out of the given choices to put this in. OpenSSH’s purpose is not primarily
security — its primary purpose is administering a system remotely, security
is simply a bycoming necessity for that.

>> Anyway, if there would be a heated discussion on where a port whould be
>> placed, we can look at BSDs and simply copy. Take a quick glance at
>> pkgsrc.se, I think the way the ports are organised is sane.
>
> Alpine Linux is not BSD. If you want BSD’s repository layout, use BSD.

This is really not an argument on its own, as we take plenty of cues from BSD.
I like categorisation too but I’m not quite sure if it would fit for us, however.

> Again, Alpine is not BSD and it’d be quite silly to blindly adopt practices from BSD, especially in packaging (I’ve never heard anything positive about packaging on BSD even from BSD users…)

For the record, I have, and also from Gentoo’s packaging system which takes cues
from BSD as well.

- Shiz