[alpine-devel] Planning for the 3.7 release freeze

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 17:50:01 +0200

Hi,

We are getting closer the 3.7 release. In 3-4 weeks we should have the
build toolchain freeze (anything that is in the build-base dependency
chain).

Here are some things I'd like to have done before that:

- gcc 7
  We probably need a separate gcc6-java to be able too bootstrap openjdk

- new musl release

- rust on all/more arches

- rootbld?

Some of the things I think we should fix before the 3.7 release:

- gdb 8

- support for EFI/GPT in setup-disk (in progress)

- support for grub in setup-disk on most arches

- better s390x support

Infra related issues we should fix before 3.7 release:

- tier1/tier2 mirrors

- gpg remailer

- CI for ppc64le

Anything else?

We need start to think of drawing a line now so we don't end up with
lots of last minute things that delays the 3.7 release.