Re: [alpine-devel] Planning for the 3.7 release freeze

From: Roberto Oliveira <rdutra_at_linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 18:15:55 -0300

On 09/07/2017 12:50 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are getting closer the 3.7 release. In 3-4 weeks we should have the
> build toolchain freeze (anything that is in the build-base dependency
> chain).
>
> Here are some things I'd like to have done before that:
>
> - gcc 7
> We probably need a separate gcc6-java to be able too bootstrap openjdk
>
> - new musl release
>
> - rust on all/more arches
>
> - rootbld?
>
> Some of the things I think we should fix before the 3.7 release:
>
> - gdb 8
>
> - support for EFI/GPT in setup-disk (in progress)
>
> - support for grub in setup-disk on most arches
>
> - better s390x support
>
> Infra related issues we should fix before 3.7 release:
>
> - tier1/tier2 mirrors
>
> - gpg remailer
>
> - CI for ppc64le

Regarding the CI for ppc64le, I was able to setup a Jenkins[1] in a VM running
Alpine. The VM is in Alpinebox ppc64le machine.

I initially configured it to build PR opened in my aports repository[2] but it
can be easily changed to build PR from the main aports repository.

To configure Jenkins, I initially used the same set of scripts from Travis + a
patch with some minor changes allowing ppc64le build (PR is opened at [3]). As
the VM is already an Alpine, maybe we don't need some parts of Travis scripts,
for example to download the apk-tools tar.gz, but we can improve if it is needed.

An initial solution could be to keep Travis building x86_64 packages and
integrate Jenkins to build the ppc64le packages.

I would like to hear any suggestions/thoughts about that.

Regards,
Roberto Oliveira

--
[1] - http://177.220.10.151:8080/job/aports-PR/