Mail archive

[alpine-devel] rEFInd, Alpine, and luks

From: Etienne <>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 15:26:19 +0100

Hello list,

I am booting Alpine on a laptop via rEFInd off an encrypted volume
(LUKS), and it works fine, but I hit a minor annoyance: the password
prompt doesn't show up, even if the system is waiting for one. I suspect
this is related to how/when the screen is refreshing or changing
resolution during the booting process. As a result, I need to wait for
"a certain time", enter my password blindly, and hope I haven't entered
it too early.

I have recorded a video to help with the description:

Despite searching on Web, I couldn't find a reference of someone running
into the same issue, so I'm asking here: Any suggestion on what to do
next to fix this?

Some distributions show a splash screen and prompt for a password to
decrypt the volume after, and I suspect this refreshes the screen in a
manner that would sort this issue. Any idea how to do that with Alpine?

Thanks for reading.