Re: [alpine-devel] [DRAFT] Alpine Linux Code of Conduct

From: Kiyoshi Aman <aphrael_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 00:16:46 +0000

> Oh, maybe also explicitly call out discrimination based on political
views, favourite brand of a beer, tabs/spaces preference, relation to Star
Wars and Star Trek, …, and gazillion of other things some people may feel
uncomfortable hearing an opposite opinion… Don’t you see how insane is this?

I think this is an inappropriate way to express dissatisfaction with the
proposed change, and I feel that it goes against the spirit of camaraderie
that should be expected on Alpine communication platforms. I will address
it anyhow, however:

A CoC doesn't, and shouldn't need to, cover every conceivable way in which
an individual can be hostile to others. The original mention of init
system preference was probably intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek,
which in my opinion is perfectly fine. Specifically including programming
languages is a bit much, I think, but I am neutral on including it. I
think other parts of the CoC handle hostility towards others just fine,
though.

-- Kiyoshi Aman