Re: [alpine-devel] [DRAFT] Alpine Linux Code of Conduct

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 19:21:28 -0500

On 05/10/17 18:46, Jakub Jirutka wrote:
>> Not sure if you want to explicitly call out discrimination based
>> on programming language preference in the explicitly disallowed
>> conduct section as well. It’s sometimes scary to be a Python
>> developer in #alpine-devel, and I really feel for the Go
>> programmers as well.
>

> Oh, maybe also explicitly call out discrimination based on
> political views, favourite brand of a beer, tabs/spaces preference,
> relation to Star Wars and Star Trek, …, and gazillion of other
> things some people may feel uncomfortable hearing an opposite
> opinion… Don’t you see how insane is this?

If you read closer, I said discrimination. I did not say one cannot
say $lang is bad or tabs/spaces are better than the other. In fact
trying to stop civil discussion or disclosure of opinions can have a
very chilling effect on a community. I only said that one should not
/discriminate against someone else/ based on their opinions or
expressions related to such.

This is actually made abundantly clear in the Adélie CoC:

[ begin excerpt ]

We are all professionals here, and the atmosphere must reflect that at
all times. There is no room to attack anyone on a personal level, or
for holding an opinion, even if it is one that offends you greatly.
This includes, but is not exclusive to, opinions on:

* Politics
* Religion
* Sexuality
* Init systems
* Editors
* OSes
* Linux distributions
* BSD flavours
* Virtualisation technologies
* Smartphones
* CPU architectures
* Shells (zsh, ksh, tcsh, dash, execline, bash, BusyBox...)
* Programming languages
* Programming paradigms (procedural, functional, OO, literate,
relativistic...)
* Television shows
* Which kind of M&Ms is the best

All of us hold opinions on at least most of the above. To participate
in the Adélie Linux community, you *must* accept that:

not everyone will agree with you;
a dissonance of opinion is not equivalent to a personal attack on you;
a personal attack based on someone else's opinion is never acceptable.

[ end excerpt ]

> Maybe I should also advocate for adding explicit disapproval of
> public accusation without any real evidence…

If matters are handled in the open, then all evidence is available for
everyone to view, and public accusations either hold no weight ("this
obviously did not happen, there is no evidence") or are already
completely obvious ("proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the evidence is
right there").

Based on what William said:

> 6. While conflict is inevitable, please work through the conflict
> in a transparent manner, so that all participants understand the
> resolution.

this is already considered.

Best,
- --arw