Re: [alpine-devel] [DRAFT] Alpine Linux Code of Conduct

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 19:37:58 -0500

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 5:11 PM, A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org> wrote:

> On 05/10/17 03:14, William Pitcock wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As I have mentioned before, I have been working on a proposed Code
>> of Conduct, in the spirit of previous proposals.
>>
>> This is the first public proposed draft for the Code of Conduct.
>> If there is consensus, it will be implemented shortly after the
>> 3.7 release occurs. Breaches of the Code of Conduct requiring
>> third-party mediation will be handled by a not-yet-created team.
>> An actual proposal putting the Code of Conduct into force and
>> creating a moderation team to handle issues surrounding it will be
>> put forward after the 3.7 release is published.
>

> One small idea: the moderation team should probably be held to a more
> strict code of conduct than the rest of the project, since they are -
> by design - the people who are going to be dealing with CoC violations.
>
> It doesn't have to be anything major, but for example, they should
> probably try to stay out of arguments even on -offtopic channels so
> that all members of the community feel they are neutral. Otherwise,
> you run the risk of people "gaming the system" by choosing moderators
> that will side with them (or against the other party) based on
> offtopic spill over... seen that happen before, guess where ;)

Neutrality is the primary reason why the final proposal will designate
a moderation team.

>> In effect, the goal of this Code of Conduct was to take parts of
>> the previous Alpine Code of Conduct proposals and merge them with
>> other Codes of Conduct observed in the larger Alpine ecosystem
>> (Docker, Adelie, et al).
>>
>> It is hoped that this Code of Conduct will contribute towards a
>> more inclusive, friendly and diverse Alpine community. As such, I
>> would appreciate any feedback and suggestions to improve it.
>>
>> A rendered version of the Code of Conduct is available at:
>> https://gist.github.com/kaniini/d27feb68f4dfc771bfc746de8d816838
>>
>> The plaintext draft Code of Conduct follows:
>
> [snip]
>

> +1 looks good.
>
> Not sure if you want to explicitly call out discrimination based on
> programming language preference in the explicitly disallowed conduct
> section as well. It's sometimes scary to be a Python developer in
> #alpine-devel, and I really feel for the Go programmers as well.

I haven't seen anything too bad since we have stepped up moderation
efforts in IRC and on the lists. I don't think it is a good idea to
stir the nest if previous problems are already resolving themselves.
The only thing that will be risked is progress in that area.

As always, please bring up any sort of incident that would make a
group such as "Python developers" uncomfortable and we/future
moderation team will try to deal with it, but I don't think we need to
explicitly acknowledge previous transgressions that happened from time
to time. This is more about setting an editorial tone instead of
being a device to be used like a sledgehammer.

William