[alpine-devel] heads up: guile downgraded in edge

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:41:13 -0500

Hi,

Guile 2.2 has a major regression which, when combined with it's
recursive-descent execution design, is fatal on Alpine systems due to
overflowing stack. At first, we decided to expand the stack limit to
work around this problem, but it still overflowed with the expanded
stack on the s390x architecture.

We observed that many other distributions did not upgrade to Guile 2.2
yet, which leads us to believe that in some cases, it is even possible
to overflow the stack on glibc systems with 8MB stack limit.

Accordingly, we decided to downgrade to Guile 2.0.14 which does not
appear to have this regression. The regression appears to be related
to suboptimal hashtable usage, but we did not investigate much further
after that point.

As such, if you have guile installed on your system, and you are
running edge, you will want to allow the downgrade by using "apk
upgrade --available" next time you upgrade your machine.

William