Re: [alpine-devel] Planning for the 3.7 release freeze

From: Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:36:52 +0200

A follow up...

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 17:50:01 +0200
Natanael Copa <ncopa_at_alpinelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are getting closer the 3.7 release. In 3-4 weeks we should have the
> build toolchain freeze (anything that is in the build-base dependency
> chain).
>
> Here are some things I'd like to have done before that:
>
> - gcc 7
> We probably need a separate gcc6-java to be able too bootstrap openjdk

We will not reach gcc 7, so we stick to gcc 6 for the v3.7 release.

> - new musl release

musl is done.

> - rust on all/more arches

Jakub or Shiz, any update on this?

> - rootbld?

I think we will have to postpone rootbld ti post v3.7 too :-/

> Some of the things I think we should fix before the 3.7 release:
>
> - gdb 8

gdb 8 is done

> - support for EFI/GPT in setup-disk (in progress)
>
> - support for grub in setup-disk on most arches

this is making progress. Carlo made some good work with setup-disk that
I need to review.

Carlo, do you know what is left to do with setup-disk? (in addition to
testing)

> - better s390x support

The only thing we need have working is rethinkdb for now. The other
things not working for s390x can probably just be disabled for now.

When it comes to rethinkdb, we need to resolve conflict for the ppc64le
patch and s390x rebase for rethinkdb 2.3.6. I wish IBM could help us
with that, but I think we are stuck in between the ppc64le team and
s390x team.

> Infra related issues we should fix before 3.7 release:
>
> - tier1/tier2 mirrors

Daniel, do you know what the status is here?

> - gpg remailer

Carlo, do you think you can help us with this?

> - CI for ppc64le

Roberto is making progress here. I think we are not too far from
putting it into production.