Re: [alpine-devel] Splitting out pip and setuptools from python3

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:37:31 -0500

On 27/10/17 11:37, Daniel Isaksen wrote:
> I would like to do this as well, as setuptools and pip aren't a
> part of "core python". It will also, as you said, save disk space.

https://docs.python.org/3/installing/index.html

"pip is the preferred installer program. Starting with Python 3.4, it
is included by default with the [official] Python binary."

On 27/10/2017 11:33, Natanael Copa wrote:
> I think I would like to do this, because it saves space and I think
> its the best technical way to do it. But it also means that we need
> to add py3-setuptools as makedepends on a lot of packages, and it
> may break things for docker users who apk add python3 && pip
> install ...
>
> Do you think it is worth it?

The interpreter will work against you, especially if people do not
know that py3-setuptools contains pip (or would it be py3-pip?) –
since the official Python distribution contains pip now, for distros
that remove it they have added "python3 -m ensurepip" which will go
fetch pip from the Internet (if a network connection is available).

Personally, I feel like this would be a waste of effort. However, if
a split really is needed/desired, then I strongly suggest py3-pip as a
separate package from py3-setuptools so that people can find and
install pip easily.

Please additionally note that while the original bug report says to
remove 'ensurepip', the PEP linked in the bug report clearly states:

> Even if pip is made available globally by other means, do not
> remove the ensurepip module in Python 3.4 or later. ensurepip will
> be required for automatic installation of pip into virtual
> environments by the venv module.

This is very important for reproduceable environments and is
frequently used in regression testing environments. Breaking `venv`
is not worth 1.6 MiB disk; please do not remove the ensurepip module.

Best,
- --arw

- --
A. Wilcox (awilfox)