Re: [alpine-devel] KDE Plasma packaging in Alpine

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:46:53 -0500

On 27/10/17 07:53, Jakub Jirutka wrote:
> I was thinking about desktop environments and I wonder, why did you
> choose KDE and not Xfce4, LXDE or some other more lightweight
> alternative?

We are working on packaging LXQt, which is the spiritual successor to
LXDE. aerdan_at_ has been successful at making 0.11.x mostly work, but
their latest 0.12 release has proven to be much more tricky. We are
hopeful that LXQt may be able to be merged in Alpine 3.8 as well.
Note that LXQt does use a few KDE tier 1 frameworks, so that would
need to be merged first.

I have sent some XFCE 4 fixes on to Alpine, but I know that end users
prefer "shiny" and XFCE 4 is not very "shiny".

Additionally, we offer the Alpine fluxbox and openbox packages for
lighter weight window managers.

> I don’t have experience with linux desktops, but from what I’ve
> heard, KDE is quite a big and complex beast; it appears to be
> against Alpine’s philosophy simple and lightweight, isn’t it?

KDE 4 was definitely big and complex. The entire package set of KF5
was a single package, kdelibs4. They split them up for
maintainability and size reduction. Now instead of single monolithic
.so or .a taking up resident memory / disk space, the applications can
choose only what they need. Unfortunately the cost tradeoff is: more
maintainable, better code, but more work for packagers because there
are so many.

I have a 256 MB RAM computer and Plasma 5 runs happily on it. The
total RAM usage for the entire environment including udisks, upower,
and such: ~ 185 MB RAM. Not a lot of room left for heavyweights like
a Web browser, but you can certainly fit AbiWord and such.

This is certainly much more bloated than say fluxbox, which I can
squeeze in to 64 MB RAM if I really try, but that is the price you pay
for shiny :)

Overall I feel that KDE (and Qt, to a point) really are unfairly
judged for the sins of their past. The desktop environment has become
a lot better these days, especially with 5.8 LTS.

Best,
- --arw

- --
A. Wilcox (awilfox)