Re: [alpine-devel] KDE Plasma packaging in Alpine

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:01:14 -0500

On 27/10/17 11:01, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 14:03:05 +0200 Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz>
> wrote:
>> In the light of these arguments, I changed my mind * I*d prefer
>> LTS version of KDE to non-LTS. Also I support adding KDE packages
>> to Alpine, if Awilfox will help us maintaining them in
>> long-term.
>
> I prefer LTS too if possible.
>
> We could maybe have the next version of KDE in edge/testing?
> similar to what we do with firefox and firefox-esr?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but edge/testing is definitely
where I would want KDE to land until it is known to work well on Alpine.

> Needs be done carefully though. We did have some confusion with
> php7 in community and testing.
>
>>> The entire team at Adélie are dead serious about making sure
>>> that our packages are rock solid on varied hardware.
>>>
>>> The reason that we have not already upstreamed our KDE work is
>>> that we are still ensuring that it works *everywhere*. We have
>>> a few people volunteering to try it out on ARM, and I*m trying
>>> to bring up PPC64.
>>

>> I think that this is good enough for adding them to the Alpine*s
>> testing repository right after releasing v3.7 (so we can now
>> focus on release).
>
> I agree that we should focus on the v3.7 release now.
>
> A. Wilcox: What is the current state of 5.8? Do you think it is
> realistic to merge it now and have it working without delaying the
> v3.7 release too much?

The frameworks are ready. They're ABI stable and they work flawlessly
on musl. I have no doubt that they would be fine in v3.7. However,
that doesn't include the Plasma desktop, just the frameworks... which
may not be very useful without the desktop itself. See below.

> Are you ok to wait til after Alpine 3.7 release and aim for KDE
> 5.12 in Alpine v3.8?

My main concern is that we still don't have any display manager
capable of launching a KDE session. So you would need to have
.xinitrc with:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde

This doesn't seem like a very nice way to do things. I highly doubt
I'll be able to get sddm to work with ConsoleKit2 before v3.7 is done
and released. After one week of work I have it communicating with CK2
but not yet creating sessions or reading the seats properly.

I can't really speak for 5.12 yet. We of course feel confident that
it will be a great release, and they have integrated a lot of our work
upstream for it. However, there's always the chance for some breakage
as there is with any package release.

I don't know when Alpine 3.8 would be shipping and I don't know when a
version freeze would happen and so on. There's not a lot of
information that I can find that talks about Alpine's release
schedule. It looks like, based on past releases, the next one would
be in May 2018? If that is the case KDE 5.12 should be very ready by
then.

FWIW, at the current rate of progress, Adélie 1.0 is probably due for
a release around January 2018. We plan to bump to kernel 4.14 and KDE
5.12 and then release Adélie 1.5 somewhere in the summer. That looks
like it would line up pretty cleanly to being based on Alpine 3.8.

No guarantees, obviously, but assuming everything I have said in this
message turns out to happen, we would probably be looking at
upstreaming KDE Plasma 5.12 in to Alpine some time in February.

As I said, I am willing to work on KDE Frameworks (KF5) integration
now but I don't know how useful those would be without something using
them.

All the best,
- --arw

- --