Re: [alpine-devel] KDE Plasma packaging in Alpine

From: Oliver Smith <ollieparanoid_at_bitmessage.ch>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:10:00 +0000

Hi there,

I am sorry that awilfox and kaniini had to explain themselves in lengthy posts. I didn't understand the polite pointers you were already giving, which pointed in the direction that the LTS version is suited better for Alpine.

But with all the facts on the table, it is obvious now, that Adelie's team are the experts for getting KDE into Alpine, way beyond what we could have learned about both KDE and Alpine in such a short time. There's no doubt that the LTS version is the better choice.

awilfox wrote:
> (Honestly, I have wondered for a while why postmarketOS does not want
> to try and fork Adélie instead of Alpine. Since KF5 is ABI stable, we
> are always tracking the current version of that anyway. They would
> only need to worry about Plasma Next. This would lower their expended
> effort so that they could focus on what makes them different. It
> would also greatly reduce the amount of code with which they need to
> become familiar.)

We're not forking any distribution, we want to be an (ideally thin) layer on top and directly use and contribute to the binary packages provided by upstream. To be honest, I didn't know about the ABI stability yet. Basing on Adelie's KF5 packaging does sounds like a good idea and I'll bring it up in the postmarketOS community.

Thanks for all the answers to this thread, I have read them all multiple times and learned a lot!

Best regards,
Oliver

A. Wilcox: