Re: [alpine-devel] Splitting out pip and setuptools from python3

From: Łukasz Jendrysik <scadu_at_yandex.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 19:07:49 +0100

Hello,

On 10/27/2017 06:33 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder what you think about splitting out pip and setuptools from python3 package.
>
> http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/5381
>
> I think I would like to do this, because it saves space and I think its
> the best technical way to do it. But it also means that we need to add
> py3-setuptools as makedepends on a lot of packages, and it may break
> things for docker users who apk add python3 && pip install ...
>
> Do you think it is worth it?
>
> I think it is.
Yes and no. Considering the venv issue mentioned by awilfox it might
cause more issues that it's worth actually. Since Alpine might be
heavily used in reproducible environments and other testing stuff I'd
like to keep ensurepip.
However, splitting pip into py3-pip would be nice.

What do you think?

--scadu