Re: [alpine-devel] KDE Plasma packaging in Alpine

From: V.Krishn <vkrishn4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 21:33:27 +0530

On 10/27/2017 06:23 PM, Jakub Jirutka wrote:
> I was thinking about desktop environments and I wonder, why did you choose KDE and not Xfce4, LXDE or some other more lightweight alternative? I don’t have experience with linux desktops, but from what I’ve heard, KDE is quite a big and complex beast; it appears to be against Alpine’s philosophy simple and lightweight, isn’t it?
>
> Jakub

Would suggest following if really going forward with it,
1. use separate folder in aports tree, eg aports/desktop or aports/kde.
2. have its priority lower than aports/testing (only edge build)
3. tag it as a perpetual testing folder
4. this edge build would serve as base for other spins-offs to test and
enhance, thereby giving them market selling point

Try to hold on to Alpine philosophy, but development should progress.
Funny analogy would be Alpine being raw/dark chocolate and Adélie being
Cadbury/Kit-kat/Lindt or... :-)

--
Regards,
V.Krishn