Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine features and the future

From: Jakub Jirutka <jakub_at_jirutka.cz>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 03:41:10 +0100

> The amount of things that are broken by not having `useradd` is
insane.

Maybe on Adélie, I've never encountered any issue on Alpine from not having useradd...

> Alpine build scripts
still think `adduser` and `addgroup` are the way to go.

Hm, we really should add a declarative way for creating users/groups in abuilds. Not (just) because of Adélie, the current approach has more problems.

> I could also write wrappers the other way around...

I was thinking about this several times, but always something more important appeared. I also don't like some behaviour of adduser.

> BTW, is there a reason Alpine doesn't ship shadow as a base dep?

Alpine's philosophy is small, simple and secure. shadow is not very small and it depends on PAM which is everything but small and simple. Moreover, it's mostly not really needed and useful. I surely don't wanna this in *base* system.

Jakub

(I'm sending this mail from mobile, so please forgive me typos etc.)