Mail archive

Re: [alpine-devel] Alpine features and the future

From: Drew DeVault <>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:03:28 -0500

I spent some time reading about and playing with s6. Overall, I like it,
but it's not perfect. My main complaints are:

- execline is stupid
- s6-rc is not very good
- anopa is not very good
- s6 is too complicated in places, things like "actually down" with
  daemon-level support are inelegant and bad

With all of that in mind, I still like it and I'd like to plan build a
simple service manager around s6 and see how it goes.

My plan is to work on another Alpine ISO remix based on some of my ideas
and see how well-received it is. It'll look like this:

- s6 plus a new service manager
- slimmer busybox (stripped down to just POSIX tools)
- ubase
- shadow (without PAM)
- slim static vim build
- dash