Re: [alpine-devel] Improving Alpine Linux documentation

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 00:03:22 -0600

On 13/12/17 18:14, Oliver Smith wrote:
> Consus:
>> On 15:36 Tue 12 Dec, A. Wilcox wrote:
>>> Is this channel available on Matrix as well?
>>
>> Honestly, I don't know. It was not me who created it.
>>
> clandmeter said he could "fix" this after the matrix server is
> migrated to new hardware. I'd also like to join the chat once the
> matrix channel is up and running.

Good to know, thanks!

>>> This is how we do it in Adélie. It seems to work well.
>>
>> Do you have third-party (non-core) contributors? I believe that
>> this model adds additional complexity for the regular folks. It
>> would be nice to have a positive example.
>>
> I see it the same way, I'd much rather edit a wiki by clicking on
> "edit", changing something, looking at a preview, and then saving
> it. There are more arguments, which in my opinion, make MediaWiki
> a superior choice for Alpine, when compared with a git repository

Yes, actually, we only have 3 people on core and 7 total developers
(everyone with commit). Everyone else is a contributor with no
affiliation. Our core docs are written in DocBook (an install guide,
which is mostly done, and a developer guide, which is still in draft),
and are written entirely by horst_at_ and I. The wiki is written by
everyone.

>> Actually, I want to have a chat with Archlinux wiki maintainers
>> about the spam-reducing. They solved this problem somehow.
>>

> I think the Arch wiki has a clever registration questions, which
> reduces a lot of spam accounts from being created in the first
> place. Right now they have (I don't know if/how often they rotate
> these, and pacman is their package manager, so you'd need to run
> Arch Linux more or less to answer this one):
>> What is the output of "pacman -V|base32|head -1"
>
> So we could do something similar with `apk` and/or busybox instead
> of pacman.

This might still be confusing for people who are not used to command
lines. Let's remember that not everyone who uses Alpine wants to (or
/can/) use the command line like that.

I do agree that some Alpine-related questions might be useful. There
could be more than one, even.

> PS: I don't think requiring a valid e-mail address helps at all.
> It's just annoying and very easy to work around.

Annoying? I'm genuinely curious to know why having a valid email is
annoying, considering that virtually everyone with an internet
connection at least has an ISP email box.

It is somewhat easy to work around with a sophisticated enough script,
but it is just another way to verify reality. Maybe not necessary if
we get Alpine-related questions in the wiki sign-up page, but it never
hurts.

Best,
- --arw

- --