[alpine-devel] License naming in APKBUILD - SPDX License List

From: Przemysław Pawełczyk <przemoc_at_zoho.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 16:07:21 +0100

Hello, Apliners!

License naming in APKBUILD files is not consistent yet - a known fact.

Back in June 2017 there was an agreement on IRC channel (#alpine-devel)
to start using one naming scheme. We've chosen identifiers defined by:

    The Software Package Data Exchange (SPDX)
    https://spdx.org/

I'm sending this mail, because it is not a well-known fact, and AL wiki
has not been updated yet to reflect the change.

SPDX License List covers many licenses, it's quite flexible, others use
it too. Even kernel started adding SPDX license identifiers recently:

    SPDX identifiers in the kernel
    https://lwn.net/Articles/739183/

SPDX License List can be found here:

    https://spdx.org/licenses/

SPDX License List has been apparently updated recently. There is
version 3.0 (28 December 2017) now. I archived its current state:

    http://archive.is/Ke3tD
    http://web.archive.org/web/20171230141353/https://spdx.org/licenses/

It made some indentifiers more explicit, which I think is a good thing
for readability (even if I somewhat preferred older, more concise ones).
Examples:

    GPL-2.0 -> GPL-2.0-only
    GPL-2.0+ -> GPL-2.0-or-later

I believe that we should fix ourselves at SPDX License List 3.0 for now.
I doubt there will be any new version soon, and even if, I think it will
be more about adding lacking stuff rather than changing existing ones.

So any new APKBUILD file should properly fill license field.
We should be able to fix all old APKBUILD files before Alpine Linux 3.8.
IIRC there were some volunteers for this task in the past already.

Regards,
Przemek