Re: [alpine-devel] Splitting up linux-firmware?

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 17:09:53 -0600

On 01/06/18 16:13, Oliver Smith wrote:
> Hey alpine-devel,
>
> there's the >250 MB (install size) linux-firmware package, of which
> usually only few files are needed for one machine. For other
> packages, Alpine already splits off -dev and even -doc to save as
> much space as possible, so it would make sense to me if we started
> splitting up linux-firmware as well. Our use case in Alpine Linux
> based postmarketOS is, that we could only flash the firmware
> subpackges to the mobile device, which we actually need (thus making
> the total image size a lot smaller).
>
> The package provides files in /lib/firmware and is already
> categorized in subfolders. So we could make one subpackage for each
> subfolder.
>
> Files directly in /lib/firmware could go into "linux-firmware-other",
> and the "linux-firmware" package could depend on all its subpackages
> for compatibility.
>
> What do you think, would it make sense to submit a PR for that?

All my +1.

The size is so large and the download time is so long that I've taken to
just scp'ing around the /lib/firmware files I need on different machines
from a 'master' machine that has the full package installed.

I've thought about suggesting this before but I wasn't exactly sure the
best naming scheme (should it be amdgpu-firmware or etc), but your
proposal is actually very clean. And it keeps compatibility.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)