Re: [alpine-devel] Splitting up linux-firmware?

From: William Pitcock <nenolod_at_dereferenced.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:16:31 -0600

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Oliver Smith
<ollieparanoid_at_bitmessage.ch> wrote:
> I think it makes sense for the linux-* packages not to depend on the
> whole linux-firmware anymore, so people can really install only what they
> need. As Jirutka wrote on GitHub, it's probably a good idea to show a
> warning in post-upgrade, that most users need to install the subpackages
> (or simply the whole linux-firmware package) then.

I prefer to wait on removing the linux-firmware dependency until after
3.8 if possible.

> Regarding the modules I don't know if it's feasible to split them as well.

It should be possible to split by which module depends on what, but it
will be messy and require a significant rework of the package.
We could use modinfo to dump the firmware data for each module,
perhaps on kernel package build, and save that as a file somewhere
useful, perhaps in /lib/modules/$VERSION/firmwares.yaml or similar.

William