Re: [alpine-devel] Missing /etc/inputrc

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 18:25:15 -0600

On 01/09/18 12:11, Gennady Feldman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've ran into an issue where some of the common keys where not working
> inside bash in Alpine.

"some of the common keys" is vague here. I'm assuming you probably mean
the emacs bindings like ^A, ^K, etc?

> The fix was actually quite trivial. I just had to
> copy /etc/inputrc from another box. This leads me to the question as to
> why Alpine doesn't provide /etc/inputrc as part of a package?

Using these packages:

Installed: Available:
bash-4.4.12-r1 = 4.4.12-r1
readline-7.0.003-r0 = 7.0.003-r0

I don't need an /etc/inputrc to use ^A, ^K, etc in bash. (I use zsh in
vim mode typically, so I wouldn't typically notice.) It looks like
maybe this also handles ^← ^→ for word skipping, which does *not* work
here in this bash.

> alpine-baselayout?

Since this is a readline file, it should probably be provided by
readline; I'm not sure why Gentoo puts it in sys-apps/baselayout.
Debian has it in readline-common (as /usr/share/readline/inputrc).
Fedora has it in setup[noarch] ("A set of configuration and setup
files"); presumably, this is because they customise it beyond the
readline library's shipped example file, and because readline is a part
of their _at_system repo.

So, tl;dr: +1 on shipping an /etc/inputrc in readline package.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)