[alpine-devel] APKBUILD for kernel modules

From: Martin Galvan <omgalvan.86_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 11:26:14 -0300

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to write an APKBUILD script for a package that contains a
kernel module. Since there seems to be no documentation about this,
I've been looking at some examples (the *-hardened packages), and I've
seen that, if I understood correctly, all of them set a kernel version
(_kver) and refuse to build unless linux-$_flavor/APKBUILD's pkgver
matches _kver. Every time a new kernel version comes out, the APKBUILD
has to be updated to match the new kernel version.

Is this done just to make sure the maintainer is aware of kernel
changes, and has to at least indicate so in the APKBUILD? What if we
wanted to distribute a module that worked on multiple kernel versions?

As a side note, I saw that the APKBUILDs look for
linux-$_flavor/APKBUILD in a relative path. I assume this means
they'll always run from wherever they're located in the aports tree,
but I saw that e.g.
https://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/testing/ipt-netflow-hardened/APKBUILD
looks in testing for linux-$_flavor, which I didn't find. Does that
mean it'll always fail?

Finally, I saw that for failure cases there seems to be a 'die'
function that looks like perl's. Where can I find its definition? Is
it documented anywhere?