Re: [alpine-devel] efivar,efibootmgr: stabilization on all architectures

From: A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 18:00:06 -0600

On 01/23/18 09:54, Lucas Ramage wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get these two packages into main but I need help testing
> all of the different architectures.
>
> I have x86_64, x86 covered as those are fairly standard these days and I
> have plenty of hardware to test them on, but I do not have a way to test
> any of the following:
>
> - ppc64le

I only have ppc64 (not le), but I can tell you from experience that no
POWER or PowerPC system released by IBM, Freescale, Sony, Amiga, Apple,
etc use EFI.

Most use either OpenFirmware (incl. SLOF) or proprietary firmware. The
newer IBM (and compatible) machines use OPAL.

Therefore, the packages should really be arch="x86 x86_64 aarch64" only.
 (Maybe armhf? I'm unaware of any 32-bit ARM SoCs that use [U]EFI
besides the HTC One M8 Windows Edition, which can't be flashed with
Linux or Android.)

Best,
--arw

--