Re: [alpine-devel] efivar,efibootmgr: stabilization on all architectures

From: Lucas Ramage <ramage.lucas94_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:45:04 -0500

>> I only have ppc64 (not le), but I can tell you from experience that no
>> POWER or PowerPC system released by IBM, Freescale, Sony, Amiga, Apple,
>> etc use EFI.

I also was not aware of this, but apparently someone out there is using it
based on this commit from Github,

[testing/efivar: enable build on ppc64le](
https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/commit/845248e11ee87446dbee1c4b4b01e247d9512598#diff-6110a0e63db2f6ffdb1bca6ca8cb5349
)

As I said before, I only have x86/x86_64 hardware so that's all that I can
test. But I do not want to drop architectures if people need them.

> I have an aarch64 system that uses UEFI that I can test with.

Awesome, Michael. Thanks for your help!

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM, Michael Davies <nemykal_at_nrv-linux.io>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an aarch64 system that uses UEFI that I can test with. My
> experience with EFI on arm is that it’s even more fickle than on x86, so if
> possible it would be good to test on several platforms. This system is a
> gigabyte mt30-gs0 board with a cavium thunderx chip. I’ll test out alpine
> on it this weekend.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
> > On 24 Jan 2018, at 11:00 am, A. Wilcox <awilfox_at_adelielinux.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On 01/23/18 09:54, Lucas Ramage wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to get these two packages into main but I need help testing
> >> all of the different architectures.
> >>
> >> I have x86_64, x86 covered as those are fairly standard these days and I
> >> have plenty of hardware to test them on, but I do not have a way to test
> >> any of the following:
> >>
> >> - ppc64le
> >

> > I only have ppc64 (not le), but I can tell you from experience that no
> > POWER or PowerPC system released by IBM, Freescale, Sony, Amiga, Apple,
> > etc use EFI.
> >
> > Most use either OpenFirmware (incl. SLOF) or proprietary firmware. The
> > newer IBM (and compatible) machines use OPAL.
> >
> > Therefore, the packages should really be arch="x86 x86_64 aarch64" only.
> > (Maybe armhf? I'm unaware of any 32-bit ARM SoCs that use [U]EFI
> > besides the HTC One M8 Windows Edition, which can't be flashed with
> > Linux or Android.)
> >
> > Best,
> > --arw
> >

> > --
> > A. Wilcox (awilfox)
> > Project Lead, Adélie Linux
> > http://adelielinux.org

[image: Visit online journal] <https://lramage94.github.io>
*Lucas Ramage* / Software Engineer
ramage.lucas_at_openmailbox.org / (941) 404-6794
*PGP Fingerprint* / Learn More <https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/>
EAE7 45DF 818D 4948 DDA7 0F44 F52A 5A96 7B9B 6FB7
<https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF52A5A967B9B6FB7>
*Visit online journal*
http://lramage94.github.io <https://lramage94.github.io>
[image: Github]  <https://github.com/lramage94>[image: Linkedin]